Jobs and Volunteer Opportunities at Ragtag
The Ragtag Film Society is dedicated to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disabled status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Title: Film Programmer
Location: Columbia, Missouri, USA
Ragtag Film Society exists to champion independent film and media art and to serve film communities both locally and globally. First and foremost, Ragtag Cinema exists to provide a venue for the best in U.S. independent and international filmmaking. We believe that audiences should have a breadth of film options.
We seek a film programmer who embraces this wide-ranging approach along with the Ragtag Cinema programming values, aesthetic, and mission.
The Film Programmer will work closely with Ragtag's Managing Director, Cinema staff members, and Ragtag Film Society's Director of Film Programming to offer an engaging film lineup at the Cinema. Primary responsibilities include: programming the film slate, conceiving and coordinating film-adjacent programming, cultivating film-world relationships, and engaging local communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and solicit films for Ragtag Cinema
- Maintain communication with our distributors in regard to acquisition of films
- Research box office grosses from other markets to assist in forecasting length of run for films
- Curate specialty programming, included but not limited to Homebrewed, Passport, Family Friendly
- Coordinate with marketing director and managing director on marketing materials for film and series programming
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Work with the Ragtag Cinema Managing Director to assess weekly financials
- Write and edit film-related program content
- Correspond with sales agents, distributors, and filmmakers to secure films
- Facilitate scheduled introduction and/or post-screening discussions
- Imagine, organize, and run film-adjacent events throughout the year
- Collaborate with the Ragtag Cinema team to determine film presentation and event logistics
- Consult with Ragtag Cinema team to assess the financial impact of programming
- Collaborate with Ragtag Film Society's Education and Community Partnership team members to create a robust education and outreach program at the cinema
- Attend development and sponsorship meetings as needed
- Participate in New Canon Society, a new programming initiative
- Collaborate with Ragtag Cinema's Tech Director on print traffic of all films
- Work with Ragtag Cinema's Tech Director and Marketing Director on marketing and promotional materials
Qualifications and Skills
- Ardent curiosity and an enthusiasm for research
- A critical perspective on the art of filmmaking
- A track record of film curation and/or scholarship is preferred, but not required, with an understanding of how to program for both cinephiles as well as for viewers who haven't yet engaged with independent cinema
- Strong interpersonal skills including excellent writing and timely communication
- Self-driven, with a high attention to detail and persistent follow-through
- Emotional intelligence, the ability to work with a variety of team members
Compensation is a salary of $30,000 plus benefits. The ideal candidate would be available for mid-August or September.
Please submit a cover letter telling us why you should be our new programmer, along with a resume and three references. Additionally, we require at least one writing sample that spotlights your critical perspective on film, at least 500 words. Send all materials to Barbie Banks, Managing Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.